Accelerated Reader (AR)
Accelerated Reader (AR) is the most popular and successful reading product of all time. AR’s advanced technology helps you:
- Make essential reading practice more effective for every student.
- Personalize reading practice to each student’s current level.
- Manage all reading activities including read to, read with, and read independently.
- Assess students’ reading with four types of quizzes: Reading Practice, Vocabulary Practice, Literacy Skills, and Textbook Quizzes.
- Build a lifelong love of reading and learning.
There are three steps to using Accelerated Reader:
- Students choose and read a fiction or non-fiction book, textbook, or magazine. Always check to make sure that it in an AR book at www.arbookfind.com .
- Students take the Reading Practice quiz. Students must pass with 60% or better; however, the points decrease as their percentage goes down (i.e. a book that is worth 10 points will earn 10 points for 100%, 9 points for 90%, etc).
- Students must earn so many points per quarter.
English students need to earn 15 points per quarter for English, 25 points per quarter for Honors English, and 30 points per quarter for GATE English. This is worth 10% of their overall grade in English! You can monitor students points at RenLearn Home Connect by using their student id with an "s" in front of the number and their birthday (mmddyyyy). Make sure you sign in as a student! See the example below:
Click on "Student"
Every quarter the Parent Teacher Club (PTC) donates prizes based on the number of points the student has read.
GVMS Million Word Club
Students who read one million or more words during the school year will be honored with a t-shirt and special recognition during the 8th grade promotion and on the school website.