When a new student requests enrollment in a grade in which there is no space, the student will be placed at an overflow school. Please contact your student’s school for questions regarding Overflow transfers.If you wish to apply for your student to attend a school within the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District other than their school of residence, you may apply for Open Enrollment. The Open Enrollment window will be open for the 2020-2021 school year starting on February 1st and closing February 28th. All applications received after the cut-off will be considered late.Programs:If interested in your students attending an alternative program, please click on the following program titles for more information regarding specific requirements and contact information.
Interdistrict Attendance Agreements (IDAs)
Incoming Interdistrict Attendance Agreements (IDAs):
Requests to attend FSUSD when residing in a neighboring districtIf you live outside the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District and would like your student to attend a Fairfield-Suisun school, your resident district must first release your student through their Interdistrict Transfer process. This approved release must be submitted to the Student Services Department at 2195 Union Ave, Fairfield, CA 94533 for further consideration. A transfer request based on parent/guardian employment (RBE) that is denied, can not be appealed. Refer to the bottom of this page for pertinent details.
Outgoing Interdistrict Attendance Agreements (IDAs):
Requests to attend a school in a neighboring district when residing in FSUSDIf you live within the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District boundaries and would like to transfer to a different school district, please ensure your student is enrolled at his/her resident school and complete an Interdistrict Attendance Agreement (IDA) form. If your reason for requesting the transfer is due to parent/guardian employment in the requested school district, please complete and submit a Residency Based on Employment (RBE) application. Submit the form and the required documentation to the Student Services Department located at 2195 Union Ave., Fairfield, CA. A transfer request based on parent/guardian employment (RBE) that is denied, can not be appealed. Refer to the bottom of this page for pertinent details.Click here for applicable forms: Interdistrict Attendance AgreementPlease note important details for IDA requests for reasons other than employment:
- Student Services will begin accepting and processing interdistrict transfer requests for the current school year (2020-21) starting 15 days before school begins (Aug. 4, 2020) through the end of January 2021. Applications received prior to this date will be held until the official acceptance date.
- Student Services will begin accepting and processing interdistrict transfer requests for the future school year (2021-22) up until 15 days before school begins for the school year. The acceptance window for the 2021-22 school year is Feb. 1, 2021 to 15 days prior to the start of the 2021-22 school year.
- Fairfield-Suisun Unified may approve or waitlist a request for at least one of the following reasons (refer to the IDA form for examples of the supporting documents that must be submitted as supporting evidence):
1. Priority for interdistrict attendance shall be given to a student who has been determined by staff of either the district of residence or district of proposed enrollment to be a victim of an act of bullying, as defined in Education Code 48900(r), committed by a student of the district of residence.
2. To meet the child care needs of the student, only as long as the student's child care provider remains within requested district boundaries
3. To meet the student's special mental or physical health needs as certified by a physician, school psychologist, or other appropriate school personnel
4. When the student has a sibling attending school in the receiving district, to avoid splitting the family's attendance
5. To allow the student to complete a school year when the student's parents/guardians have moved out of the district during that year
6. To allow the student to remain with a class graduating that year from an elementary, middle, or senior high school
7. To allow a high school senior to attend the same school attended as a junior, even if the student's family moved out of the district during the junior year
8. When the parent/guardian provides written evidence that the family will be moving into the district in the immediate future and would like the student to start the school year in the district
9. When the student will be living out of the district for one year or less
10. When recommended by the school attendance review board or by county child welfare, probation, or social service agency staff in documented cases of serious home or community problems which make it inadvisable for the student to attend the school of residence
11. When there is valid interest in a particular educational program not offered in the district of residence
12. To provide a change in school environment for reasons of personal and social adjustment
- Fairfield-Suisun Unified may deny initial requests for interdistrict attendance permits due to limited district resources, overcrowding of school facilities at the relevant grade level, or other considerations that are not arbitrary. However, once a student is admitted, FSUSD will not deny continued attendance because of overcrowded facilities at the relevant grade level.
- If the application for an Interdistrict Attendance Agreement is denied, the parents/guardians of the student may submit a letter of appeal to the Director of Student Services within 10 calendar days, stating their reasons that the District should reconsider the application. If the appeal is denied the parents/guardians may enter the process of appeal through the County Board of Education. This appeal process does not include Residency Based on Employment transfer denials.
- A parent’s failure to meet timelines will result in FSUSD determining the transfer request abandoned. A parent can not appeal a denial based on an "abandonment."
- IDAs will only be considered after all Open Enrollment transfer applications have been exhausted. All applications will be waitlisted until space becomes available. Applications may remain waitlisted until Feb. 1st, at which time FSUSD will start accepting applications for the next school year. Parents/guardians will receive communication regarding the receipt of their application in the form of a letter, email or phone call. Click here for example letters: English and Spanish
- If the transfer request is for a school year that begins within 15 calendar days of the receipt of the request, Student Services shall notify the parent/guardian of the final decision within 30 calendar days of receiving the request. If the transfer request is for a school year that begins more than 15 calendar days after the receipt of the request, the parent/guardian shall be notified of the final decision as soon as possible, but no later than 14 calendar days after the commencement of instruction during that school year. The final decision may be to keep the application on a waiting list.
- Once approved, in order to remain in the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District, good grades, appropriate behavior, attending school regularly, and arriving on time must be consistently maintained. The IDA is subject to revocation at any time should the agreement be broken. Interdistict transfer students must:
a) attend school on a regular basis and not be deemed chronically truant;
b) maintain a grade point average of 2.0 or higher in any school term with no failing grades;
c) demonstrate positive, productive behavior.