• Independent Study, Attendance and Truancy
    Attendance in school is vital to a child's success in learning.  If your child is absent, please call Evelina Pananganan in the front office at 707-863-7920. Or email her: evelinap@fsusd.org

    Truancy Letters
    Truancy letters are generated any time a student accrues any combination of 3 truant tardies, unexcused absences, or any time a student is signed-out more than 30 minutes early for unexcused reasons.
    Excused absences include a doctor appointment, funeral for immediate family, court date, illness, or religious holiday.  If a student is ill more than 3 days, a doctor's note must be provided.  Absences should be excused by the parent/guardian within 3 days of the absence.  Any unreported absences become unexcused.  A truant tardy is any time a student reports to school more than 30 minutes late.  Excused reasons for being tardy or signing out a student more more than 30 minutes before the end of the school day are the same as excused absences.  Excused reasons only apply to the student reported, they do not extend to the parent.
    Chronic Absence Letters
    Parents with a student who has missed 10% or more of the school days in the school year will be receiving a chronic absence letter.  This is regardless of whether the absences are excused or unexcused.  This letter does not count towards truancy and does not include days covered by Independent Study contracts.
    For more information on excused absences or tardies, and chronic absence letters please refer to Education Codes 48205 and 60901, or the FSUSD website under Student Services.


    If you find that you must take your child out of school and will be gone for 5 or more days, you may complete an Independent Study Contract.


    • Ten School Days prior to starting Short Term Independent Study, parents must fill out a form from the office, requesting the Short Term Independent Study packet, indicating the dates the student will not be in school and the reason for the absence.
    • Parents complete the Voluntary Agreement Form and obtain the required signatures (student and parent). Return the form to your child’s teacher.
    • The teacher will give the student assignments to be completed.
    • All assignments are due upon the student’s returns to school. In order to receive full credit all work assigned must be completed.  Partial credit will be given for incomplete contracts.
    • There will be no Independent Study approved by the school administration the first two weeks or the last two weeks of the school year.