Assembly Bill 104

  • On Thursday, July 1, 2021, Governor Newsom signed Assembly Bill 104 into law, and we’d like to provide you with important information on how this legislation may relate to your student. The bill contained three major provisions: retention, grading, and graduation policies. 

    Below you will find information about each provision: 


  • With the passage of Assembly Bill 104, students are eligible for a retention consultation if they received deficient grades for at least one-half of their coursework in 2020-21 and their parents are interested in holding them back a grade level. Deficient grades include grades of D, F, or No Pass on a secondary report card OR a "1" on an elementary report card. This temporary retention policy is in addition to any existing district retention policies. 

    Parents/guardians of eligible students must request the retention consultation in writing no later than October 8, 2021. Districts then have 30 calendar days to hold the consultation and 10 calendar days after that meeting to issue a final decision.

    How to Request Retention Consultation

    If you would like to request a retention consultation for your “eligible pupil” (a pupil who has received deficient grades for at least one-half of the pupil’s coursework in the 2020-21 academic year), please follow these steps:

    1. Write a letter requesting your child be considered for retention for the 2021-22 school year.

    2. Submit the written letter to your school's principal.  

    3. You will be contacted and a consultation meeting will be held within 30 calendar days after submitting your request.

Grade Change Request

  • The deadline for applying for a Pass/No Pass grade change is Friday, October 8th. The deadline has passed! 


    With the introduction of Assembly Bill 104, families have the opportunity to apply to receive a Pass or No Pass grade for a high school course completed during the 2020-2021 school year. This Pass or No Pass grade would replace a letter grade on your student’s transcript. 
    AB/SB 167 provides additional time for students to be able to request grade changes from letter-based grading to a Pass/No Pass grade. 
    There are no limits on the number or type of courses eligible for a grade change, but be mindful:
    All applications MUST be received by 3:00 pm on Friday, October 8th! - The deadline has passed!
    We are prohibited from accepting any applications after this date.
    FSUSD will make the change to your student’s grade within 15 days of receiving your application. The grade change will not negatively affect your student's grade point average. Some postsecondary educational institutions, including those out-of-state, may not accept a pass or no pass grade instead of a letter grade for admission. The California Department of Education has provided a list of post-secondary institutions that will accept a transcript with a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for admission. 

The application to receive a pass or no pass grade can be submitted In Person

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is Assembly Bill 104?

  • Who can apply for the AB 104 Retention?

  • How do I request a Retention Consultation?

  • How do I request a grade change to Pass / No Pass?

  • Which courses qualify for the grade changes to Pass / No Pass?

  • Is there a deadline for submitting an application for grade change?

  • What happens once the application is submitted to the district?

  • How does the Pass / No Pass impact Grade Point Average (GPA)?

  • What is the impact of the Pass / No Pass to admissions to a college or university?